Escanaba City Manager
Performs high level administrative, technical and professional work in directing and supervising the administration of city government in the City of Escanaba.
Works under the broad policy guidance of a five-member City Council.
Exercises supervision over all municipal employees either directly or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manages and supervises all departments, agencies and offices of the City to achieve goals within available resources; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
Provides leadership and direction in the development and implementation of short and long range plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
Provides professional advice to the City Council and department heads; makes presentations to councils, boards, commissions, civic groups and the general public.
Communicates official plans, policies and procedures to staff and the general public.
Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget:
- Performs cost control activities;
- Monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control;
- Prepares annual budget requests;
- Assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
Issues written and oral instructions; assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
Maintains harmony among workers and resolves grievances.
Performs or assists subordinates in performing duties; adjusts errors and complaints.
Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes.
Appoints, evaluates and removes all department heads, officers and employees of the City, except members of the Council and those directly appointed by the Council as per City Charter.
Sees that all laws and ordinances are faithfully performed.
Prepares and submits a preliminary annual City budget. Administers the adopted budget of the City.
Advises the City Council of financial conditions and current and future City needs.
Advises the City Council of current and pending legislative action and how it will affect the City.
Attends all meetings of the Council at which attendance may be required by the Council.
- Recommends for adoption by the Council such measures as Manager may deem necessary or expedient.
- Prepares and submits to the Council such reports as may be required by that body or as Manager may deem it advisable to submit.
- May serve as the head of one or more departments of City government.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university (master degree preferred) with a degree in public administration, political science, business management of a closely related field, and five-ten (5-10) years of responsible administrative, municipal, public agency or private sector background.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of modern policies and practices of public administration; working knowledge of municipal finance, human resources, public works, public safety, and community development.
- Skill in preparing and administering municipal budgets; skill in planning, directing and administering municipal programs; skill in operating the listed tools and equipment;
- Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports; ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials and the public; ability to efficiently and effectively administer a municipal government.